WHAT DOES A COURT REPORTING PRODUCTION MANAGER DO?
A Court Reporting Production Manager is in charge of many transcripts each week that need to be prepared and printed for delivery. Each week, there are transcripts submitted by many court reporters. The reporter transcribes the proceedings and send the digital transcript which is then emailed and printed. Each reporter fills out a worksheet shortly after taking a deposition. The worksheet specifies instructions for processing the transcript, such as which attorney has ordered the original transcript and which attorneys receive copies. Transcripts are typically delivered within 10 calendar days of the taking of the deposition. The Production Manager is always mindful of the deadline on each transcript processed. Working with clients and technology requires a mixture of technical ability and people skills. The biggest challenge of this role are the situations in which a transcript is needed the very next day. It is necessary for the Production Manager to take “ownership” of the production position and to feel accountable for the quality of the product. The Production Manager must be organized, pay attention to details, multi-task, and be able to work in varying levels of intensity. Flexibility is key. At times, one assignment will need to be dropped temporarily, while another, more time sensitive one will need to be completed, immediately.
- Process incoming transcripts from court reporters and/or affiliate firms, perform quality control checks and convert transcripts to final PDF or applicable version requested by clients.
- Check and confirm all warning notes.
- Maintain company database by entering client contact information, requirements and checking entries made by reporters.
- Prepare certain paperwork when not provided by contractors and/or affiliates and to aid in communicating job details to applicable company personnel.
- Verify and quality control all jobs against company database, (ie: exhibit counts, firm addresses, client orders, exhibits included, witness/case name, priority status, etc.)
- Receiving original documents and making appropriate notes in company database.
- Duplicate all CDs/DVDs and USBs received as exhibits and create an archive copy.
- Prepare appeals when requested.
- Scan exhibit files, name accordingly, and ensure that files are uploaded correctly.
- Print, tab, and assemble exhibits for final job, when applicable.
- Create media (CDs, USBs) and download all transcript and exhibit files to drive. Create labels for USB drives, cases and/or CDs, DVDs—when needed.
- Print transcripts, assemble to exhibits, prepare and package jobs for shipment, operate copier and coordinate local and courier shipments.
- Entering shipping notes into database.
- Responsible for providing the billing department with complete job information to bill clients and pay resources with minimal errors.
- Prepare any materials and/or documents to be shipped to affiliates and ensures timely and accurate delivery by confirming shipping address, required delivery vendor/time and following up where needed.
- Coordinate with office personnel to expedite job materials, address impending deadlines, and to resolve issues.
- Assist with job completion, converting ASCIIs, uploading files repository, e-mailing clients, and preparing jobs for shipment.
- Ensure all production supplies are fully stocked when necessary.
- Notify Manager when productivity and/or company goals cannot be met.
- Other duties as assigned.
COMPETENCIES, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Ability to provide extraordinary customer service to paralegals and attorneys.
- Effective communication skills, oral and written.
- Strong work ethic
- Managing the production of legal documents and exhibits in the highest degree of confidentiality.
- Scanning and naming exhibits
- Working with RealLegal E-transcript manager and Dropbox
- Ensuring accuracy and efficiency in all production tasks
- Communicating with the legal team to ensure all documents are produced to their specifications
- Strong attention to details.
- Highly organized, efficient, and extremely resourceful.
- Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Computer literate and able to learn the use of new software with ease.
- Flexible schedule; on-demand work with some evening hours during trials.
- Ability to work with deadlines and work well under pressure.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Works well independently and with Team members.
- Accepts direction and critique well.
- Excellent attendance and punctuality.
- Working knowledge of Outlook, Word, Excel.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE
- High school diploma or equivalent
- 2 years administrative experience
Ability to effectively present information and respond questions from internal and external customers whose first language is English.